Monday, September 29, 2014

How I FINALLY Kicked My Bad Eating Habits!

Something you may not know about me, is that I have a slight addiction to bad foods. I am not being sarcastic, but totally serious. Honestly, I'm sure about 90% of American children and adults do as well, without us even realizing it. The addicting chemicals in delicious fast foods surrounds us everywhere we turn. Don't lie- you know you can't mistake the smell of McDonald's, even if you just ordered a coke from them and it's sitting on the table! Their smell is just there, and it's there for a reason. They know exactly what they are doing when they make their foods, and it is literally addicting. That is why it is so hard for us, especially adults who have been surrounded by these addicting foods for years, to finally kick the habit.

How many of you, like me, have looked in the mirror horrified at your reflection, and said to yourself, "Ok. This is it SERIOUSLY this time! Tomorrow I'm waking up, eating totally clean, and never eating sugar again!" only to wake up and grab a Starbucks frappuccino and brownie on your way to work? Yeah. Me too. Been there done that at least 100 times. So, what helped me finally kick the bad habit?

There were a few things that played into that fact:
DEDICATION. PERSISTENCE. SHAKEOLOGY. MY FUTURE. MY BODY. MY RELATIONSHIPS.

So, let's start with Dedication & Persistence. Folks, beginning to eat clean is not a walk in the park. In fact, it's not even timed miles in the park, for crying out loud. It is the single hardest thing I have ever done in my life. But you know what? It was also the most rewarding. There are going to be nights that you are on your knees crying to the sky, "WHY OH WHY CAN'T I JUST HAVE ONE PIECE OF PIZZA!?!? Just one piece won't be too bad, right!?" WRONG. One piece of pizza compounded over time is bad news. Say NO. DO NOT eat that one piece when you are fresh on your journey to clean eating. I'm not saying to never eat pizza again. I am saying that when you are in the beginning of your walk to true health and fitness, which starts with your diet, do yourself a favor, say no, and feel CONFIDENT about it. Who cares what people think? Who cares if they tell you you will never succeed with this and you are bound to give up? Who cares if people are jealous of your new lifestyle choice? It's because of who THEY are and the choices THEY are making, not you! The longer you hold out and say no to temptations, the MUCH easier it will become.

It was also all about finding healthy foods and recipes that I truly loved. Eating clean does not have to mean giving up good tasting foods and forcing down disgusting ones! If you cannot stand brussel sprouts, don't think you have to shove them down just because they're healthy. Rather, find your favorite veggies and ways to season them, and chow down on that instead. Hide some spinach in your shakes. Do what you gotta do to succeed. Soon, your tastebuds will change and I swear to you, you will barely be able to tolerate sweets any more. The addiction will be over, and you will be well on your way to a new life of health. And abs. :)

Shakeology. Shakeology is my BFF for real. I am not joking you when I say this: the first morning that I drank Shakeology for breakfast after getting it in my Turbo Fire Challenge Pack, my cravings for sweets (my biggest weakness) were GONE! Shakeology was really the beginning to my everything for being able to eat clean. It was literally satisfying the voids that I had in my life that I used to fill with unhealthy foods. You see, our bodies are more malnourished for nutrients than we realize. There are so many vitamins, enzymes, antioxidants, etc. that our bodies are not receiving in day to day life. When we crave hot fudge sundaes and ooey gooey fatty cheese pizza, it is not because our bodies need those foods. In fact, our bodies need something else- but our brains are so addicted to our easy, yummy fast foods and quick fixes, that those foods are automatically what we revert to. However, when I started drinking Shakeology and actually receiving the nutrients that my body biologically needed, my brain turned off those switches for the bad foods, because it was finally fulfilled, for the first time, like.... EVER. Now, when I crave foods, it is real, whole foods that will serve a purpose and nourish my body, not sabotage it.

Does this mean I eat perfectly every single day and I'm just an eat clean angel sent from above? Absolutely not! In fact, this past week of mine was awful... which is why I was even more motivated to get back to it and write this post! I do still get cravings sometimes, and I do purposefully give in to them once a week! I give myself a cheat meal once a weekend to be able to let loose, and it's really (in my opinion) better for our bodies to feed them some bad every once in awhile. I think it keeps them guessing and get a little more revved up! Also, in case cravings had been particularly bad, I remind myself to hold out until that cheat meal. It helps me know that there's a finish line and time and place to be bad, which is NOT every day!

My Body, My Relationships, & My Family. I hear this phrase a lot: "just eat the damn cupcake" because this is our one life here on earth and we might as well indulge. I have to disagree. Like I said, I give myself times and places to eat "that damn cupcake," but if that was every chance I had, and my excuse was because "this was my one life to live," I would be living an extremely agonizing and miserable life for how unhealthy I know I would be, and how little I would be able to enjoy day to day activities. Our bodies are not meant to process those sugars that way. In fact, one cupcake probably holds more sugars than our recommended serving for the ENTIRE day! Do I judge others that want to eat all of the cupcakes they come across in a day? Not at all, but I ask to not have the same judgement back when I choose not to. I am doing it for my body today, and particularly for the future. I had no idea how good my body was meant to feel, until I truly started eating better and treating it the way it was supposed to be treated with daily exercise.

Which brings me to my family and relationships. I want to get in the best shape of my life that I can now, for my future. I know that may sound a little strange, but I want to have beliefs so firm in my life, that I will pass them to my future children without the blink of an eye. I want be able to bounce back from pregnancies more easily. I want to stay healthy and energized for my marriage and my family. I want to prevent illnesses as much as I can and failed bones, organs, and muscles as much as I can. I want to be that awesome old lady that is still doing her morning walks and yoga and can remember all of her great grandchildren's names.

That is why I do what I do and eat the way that I do. It was a long, hard road for me, and I now want to be able to pass on what I learned to those around me. I want to help them in their journeys, and help hold myself accountable as well!

It will not be easy, but it will be so worth it. I spent years not appreciating what I saw in the mirror, and that is such a dreadful way to live. I am not proud that I ever had negative thoughts, and still do when I see myself, but I am striving to put an end to that every day. I don't do what I do to be skinny, I do what I do to be healthy and fit and be so damn proud of myself at the end of every day, that I know I tried my best in the end!

Losing those first few pounds is priceless. Feeling light and energized has no words. Seeing those first traces of abs for the first time... there is nothing else like it in the world!

Want more help on the track to a fitter, healthier you? Join me as I continue my own journey each and every day!


Fill out my online form.
Online contact and registration forms from Wufoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment